Friday, March 29, 2024

Demo Don’t: Rampaging Pronouns!

 

I was watching a demo today and heard the vendor use a pile of personal pronouns in their delivery: Multiple and mixed uses of “I, me, we, you, them, they, us, she, her, he, and him…” 

 

I could also see the audience getting more and more confused. It was very hard to tell who was doing what to whom!

 

There is only one pronoun that should be used by the vendor in a demo: “You.” It’s all about the prospect!

 

(Some people use “we,” but it is important to keep the problem and the responsibility for the solution, along with its benefits, squarely on the prospect’s shoulders: It’s “You!”

 

Additionally, while I know I’ve come across formal studies of the effectiveness of using “you,” I don’t have any at hand and would love to see a reference or two!)

 

The moral? Avoid “Rampaging Pronouns” in your demos!


No comments: