Wednesday, August 19, 2026

How Long Does It Take to Describe What Your Product Does?

 

Way too long, generally!

 

Customer-facing folks need to learn how to describe their offering(s) in one crisp sentence!

 

When I ask, “What does your product do?” the responses are frequently multiple paragraphs, with side explanations and caveats. That’s far too much! 

 

Try using a Provocative Question instead. What’s a Provocative Question?

 

Someone asks me what I do… 

 

I respond, “Have you ever seen a bad software demo?”

 

If their reply is, “No, can’t say that I have…” then I know this person is not a good prospect. 

 

On the other hand, if they answer, “I’ve probably delivered hundreds…” or similar positive response then:

 

1.     I know this prospect understands the problem, and

2.     They are queued up to hear how I might solve it.

 

Delightful!

 

What would be a good Provocative Question for what you do?

 

See page 253 in Doing Discovery

https://www.amazon.com/Doing-Discovery-Important-Enablement-Processes/dp/B0B8RJK4C2/

No comments: