It is much harder to produce a short, crisp demo than to execute a traditional long one. Why? Because It requires more thought and more effort to cut something down than to leave everything in.
It doesn’t really require much thought to simply replay a traditional demo over and over (and over and over), but it takes a great deal of thought and effort to take a 90 minute traditional demo and encrispen it to 20 minutes. What do I keep in? What do I cut out? What do I have ready to go, but keep behind my back until the customer asks?
The Great Demo! methodology provides the recipe for encrispening demos – to make them crisp, concise and wonderfully focused on exactly what the customer wants and needs. The rewards for the investment in effort are tremendous:
Tangible returns reported by Great Demo! practitioners include:
- Gains of 10% or more in improved close rates overall
- Demo win rate increases of 25-75% have been reported
- Reduced “No Decisions” by half
- Reduced sales cycle length by 50%
- Reduced of cost-of-sales by 25%
- Reduced “wasted demos” by 50%
- Free POC’s and evaluations transformed into paid events
- Eliminated or reduced the need for POC’s and evaluations
- Increased deal size and breadth by 2x – both licenses and services
Intangible Benefits are reported as well:
- Great Demo! practitioners’ customers report a more solution-oriented, consultative, customer-centric approach from the field organization.
- Captured and leveraged high value “Informal Success Story” information (reference stories).
- Established positive differentiation from competitors.
- Dramatically improved Discovery – “You really listened to us…” comments from customers.
- And substantial improvements are often reported in communications between sales and presales, and in team practices.
Encrispening challenges aren’t limited to demos, of course, as this telegram exchange between Mark Twain and his publisher:
NEED 2-PAGE SHORT STORY TWO DAYS.
NO CAN DO 2 PAGES TWO DAYS. CAN DO 30 PAGES 2 DAYS. NEED 30 DAYS TO DO 2 PAGES.
Wishing everyone Great Demos in 2016…!