Monday, March 12, 2018

I Used to Think I Was Really Good at Doing Demos…


I used to think I was really good at doing demos…  But I didn’t know the truth. 

I assumed that that I was really good since my demos were smooth, polished, in high demand by my sales counterparts and complimented by customers.  I assumed that since my talk-track was complete, confident, and covered most everything, I was really good.  I assumed that since I could pack a pile of content into a 1-hour web session, I was really good.

But I didn’t know what I didn’t know.

My demos were good, but they could have been MUCH better.  I thought I was “unconsciously competent”, executing my demos consistently and confidently, but it turned out I was (in fact) “unconsciously INCOMPETENT” – I didn’t know what I didn’t know…

Based on this, here are a few thoughts to consider…

- If you have a polished, consistent talk track – your demos could be better.
- If you present a standard demo much of the time – your demos could be better.
- If you anticipate all of the questions people might ask and address them before they are asked – your demos could be better.
- If you make sure to cover your key differentiators – your demos could be better.
- If your audience is generally just quiet – your demos could be getter.
- If your audience often responds to your check-in of “Any questions so far?” with the response, “Nope, we’re good…” – your demos could be better.
- If you frequently run out of time – your demos could be better.
- If you do a demo and the customer says, “Thanks, we’d like to run a POC” – your demos could be better.
- If your customers say, when they negotiate their license agreement, “You showed us a bunch of stuff we won’t use, so reduce the license fees…” – your demos could be better.

And the list goes on…!

Those of us who are “seasoned veterans” likely have the most to learn – and unlearn.

After all, what is the definition of an expert in the world of demos?  I’d say it is someone who is consciously and constantly seeking to improve…

So, if you think you are really good at demos – and yet you’d like to get even better, contemplate taking a demos skills training course (hey – how about a Great Demo! Workshop or Master Class?).  Perhaps, like me, you don’t know what you don’t know…!

No comments: